Monday, October 8, 2012

So I've been here just shy of two weeks and I have to say I couldn't be more happy with my decision. There are things I miss and one person in particular, but I make sure to keep in contact as often as possible.

Finding my way in Ubrique.

So it's a pretty small town, but it's very beautiful here and now that it's finally stopped raining the weather has been fantastic. Finding an apartment and getting settled in, was interesting to say the least. I met another launguage auxiliar Phillipa from the UK and she's just awesome in every way. We found a great apartment on the main avenue right in the middle of town which is big even by American standards. 3 bedrooms, 2 bath, kitchen, living/dinning room etc. AND IT HAS ORANGE COUCHES!!! Though getting used to a Spanish apartment hasn't been my easiest experience.



Let me introduce you to a bit of Spanish life. This is a bombona tank. 30% butane 70% propane. In many places (like my apartment) This is what heats your water, and runs your stove. Well, both of ours (water and stove) were empty the day we moved in. 

 The realtor who helped us find the place has more than earned his commission at this point. We couldn't find the magic switch to turn on the water, so he came over and did it for us, at which point we discovered that we didn't have any fuel. He calls a buddy and in ten minutes we have two fresh tanks. ONLY THEN did we find out that the pilot light for the hot water heater doesn't work. A few hours later our good friend Mr. Realtor (Manolo) shows up with a buddy and VOILA fixes it.

All of this in the first night of being in our apartment! But thankfully we both rolled with the punches and finally had hot showers at the end of the night.

Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment